Thursday, November 14, 2013

Creating a character

What a weekend. So busy I forgot it was even a weekend. Oh well, tends to make today feel less like a Monday.


We managed to hammer out the details of the character design and style on Friday evening, and I am really content with the result. It might not look like a lot, but a ridiculous amount of time and work went into this tiny guy. You can see from older posts the various prior designs we went by way of that got us here, and you can see which components got to keep and which ones had been banished.

Considering that we're an web team, the way we in fact go about designing this may appear a tiny unusual. So I've decided to just go ahead and give you a run down of the approach, in case any person is interested.

I will preface every thing by very first saying that the group carries out virtually all communication through Gchat. I've had very a bit of expertise with numerous Cloud solutions and video chat service, and Google seems to have the most dependable of every category.

Needless to say, there are going to be folks who have had distinct experiences and have diverse opinions, and that's all fine by me. I am no fan-boy, I'm just trying to get perform accomplished. I'll give far more specifics on how we use Google's services to our benefit on a later post.

In the meantime, here's how the art creation process tends to function:

Initial, the artist (the unbelievably talented Murilo Kleine) and myself set a time to meet on Google. Generally it really is between 7:30 to 8  in the evening- the ideal time to accommodate the time distinction. Once we meet, we begin a "Google Hangout" and open up screen share. There is a chat window on the appropriate of this and we use that to go over a plan of action for the evening. Then he starts drawing. Meanwhile, I share my screen, generally set to show an MS Paint window, so that I can draw actually rough versions of what I'm searching for so he can turn it into anything that will not make individuals want to vomit, which I am sure you are undertaking proper now thanks to the picture on the bottom left.
The distinction amongst talent and the opposite of talent

So he draws and asks for input as he goes. I respond with ideas but typically try to give enough freedom for him to get something that fits his own talents. For example, the original character style had a hat that looked like a tall sauce pan and garments that looked like olde-timey pajamas.

Needless to say, the new design and style is a VAST improvement, in each style and art top quality. I was against giving the character hair til I saw how it looked!

So anyway, we devote a few hours performing that and then we start fiddling with colors and then we get tired and go to bed and do it all again the subsequent day. It is lengthy and tedious, but really I consider we both have a lot of fun with it.

That is a pretty short overview, but I guess it will do! Let me know if you want to know something else!





No comments:

Post a Comment