Saturday, November 9, 2013

The Convention Recap- Sprout's Tale

As several of you know, this weekend I attended my initial convention of any type. T-MODE is a quite tiny convention that focuses heavily on anime with a section devoted to Indie Games. It really is size was in fact a large portion of what was so appealing. Becoming my initial time at one of these, I necessary some thing relatively little exactly where any blunders I produced would go fairly unnoticed.

And boy did I make blunders.

Turns out I did need business cards. And speakers. Yeah, turns out the monitor I brought did not have speakers.

In any case, the venue was what I may possibly contact a wing of the lobby level of a hotel just outside of DC. High ceilings, white walls, and lots of small offshoot meeting rooms allowed for a very occasion-heavy convention. The major hallway leading into our game area was packed full of vendors, a big portion of whom were promoting posters, paintings, shirts, and other custom anime-friendly merchandise.

There were a lot of costumes around. Most of which I did not recognize. I saw a very convincing Jack Sparrow and had a lengthy discussion with a nicely-dressed Phoenix Wright about his previously-released XBLIG game, Super Santa Slayer. Apart from these two, I am not certain I could name anymore.


Day two went far better. I had a much better notion of what to bring. A good photo print of a Sprout image, some enterprise cards, an easy to read sheet describing the controls of the game. Not to mention all our little pouches.

And if you happen to be wondering, they have been  a hit. Was also weirdly gratifying to see men and women walking about munching on sunflower seeds.

So, given that I know this is usually the most enjoyable issue to learn about, here's all the fantastic things that went wrong!

On day 1, I showed up to locate out they had stuck me at a table with no access to power! So there I sat, awkwardly twiddling my thumbs and examining the labels on the back of my gear as I did my very best to seem busy. That lasted just about 1 hour, at which point an extension cord was brought which allowed myself and the other guy there, of YYR Games (who is a totally awesome guy, by the way!) to daisy-chain some power together. And then all was well. After he booted up his game- the weirdly addicting Bungee Ferret Tossing - I began to notice the deafening silence of poor old Sprout. I had forgotten my speakers!

In any case, I'd gotten my act with each other by the following day. And that was the day, armed with a set of enterprise cards, I started to make appropriate headway in the "producing connections" gig. That meant speaking to a few of the greater-ups at the super-large MAGFest, and acquiring to know the outstanding talent behind this picture:


There were lots of other connections, also, but I'm operating out of steam right here and I still have a lot of work to do tonight.

So in any case, if you have not however noticed it, here's a video of the demo of Sprout's Tale we have been displaying more than the weekend. See that stickiness? That is in fact gone now. Woo!




No comments:

Post a Comment