Sunday, November 3, 2013

The Dragon Speech

This weekend I found the "Dragon Speech" by Chris Crawford and found it genuinely wonderful. He brings up a lot of good stuff, and touches on a lot of subjects that I have ranted about. You can watch it right here:

Component 1 "The Dream Effectively"

Element two "Interactivity"
Portion 3 "Genesis of Art"
Element four "Characters"
Part 5 "Charge!"

I am truly a bit embarrassed that I never noticed this talk before. I have heard about it, but never ever believed a lot about it and thinking it was not worth any attention. Now that I have observed it, I can say that is definitely not the case and it is a single of the greatest issues I've heard/seen on games.

Which brings me to yet another point: This speak is nearly twenty years old and yet not considerably have changed. The points he bring up on focus on "fun" and serving a hardcore market place are all still quite valid. Also, characters in games have evolved quite little, in truth, apart from a handful of IF games like Galatea, not considerably has occurred since Monkey Island days. It feels like his views had been ignored by most people in the sector. (If anybody has sources on what kind of effect it had on other folks at the time, I would be really content to hear about it!)

I like to think that things are shaping up a bit even though. For instance, players and media have started to accept that games does not have to just about "exciting", but can be about other kind of feelings as well. (One thing I like to feel the horror games of the final ten years or so as had a portion in). We are also beginning to see the initial step at a merge between the "casual" and "hardcore" market place*, with games such as Drawn, which I see as the starting of a significantly less specialized marketplace. The circumstance is far from excellent, but at least there are some sources of light.

Another factor of interest is that Chris Crawford has never ever made a conventional games given that he held this speech. Correct now he seems to be involved in one thing referred to as Storytron, which I have to admit I do not know a lot about and have never attempted. Now I feel I really need to give it a go although! If any individual has tried it, I would be extremely interested in hearing your thoughts about it.

Finally, I also not too long ago heard that Chris will be providing a speech at GDC this year. So will certainly attempt to attend that (me and Jens will be going there because of IGF and all).


*I do not like the names casual and hardcore. due to the fact they compartmentalize the audience far as well much and I also believe it is a negative way at seeking at issues (either you like to shoot stuff or play straightforward puzzles!!!). But because I refer to a trend in the sector I believed it was kinda okay to to use them.

No comments:

Post a Comment