Now for a swift producing of the trailer:
First of I started out producing a text synopsis over the clips required for the trailer. I had an idea of starting the video with a lynchian stare, that ought to set the mood for the rest of the trailer. My design method was then for me to lock myself inside a dark area, lie on the floor and mumble stuff whilst gesticulating in the air.
I then showed the synopsis to Jens and when he had approved after some smaller sized modifications, I set Marcus and Luis to perform with recording. I gave them descriptions on how I wanted the clips to be, they then recorded anything, sent sample and I largely told em tons of stuff to increase. It took a day and something like 5 - 50 retakes for every shot (one ended up not becoming utilised) to comprehensive. We now had the clips!
One clip was missing though: Some fancy logo animation! This we could not do ourselves so I began searching for a organization to do it for us. This turned out a lot tougher than I believed! First finding a organization was a pain all I ended up discovering exactly where wedding photographers and the like. Nothing what we required naturally. Soon after some work I manged to discover 19 different companies and mailed em. Three replied! All of which where fully booked or on getaway of course. But from one particular organization, whose staff was on holiday, we got a tip about Atmospheres, a UK firm that ended up doing the animation. I feel it ended up very good! Specially given the time and resource limits we had to give the firm.
Jens now started working on the editing. This has triggered us tons of difficulty with all codecs and other crap that in no way performs out as planned (blog post about it right here), but Jens has began to master it now and is typically pretty fast. So he cut and mixed with the cut em collectively, which took half a day or so. I contributed with the graphics for the texts and some quote mining (a talent any dev requirements to learn!). Following some minor fixes, the editing was accomplished!
Ultimately was time for Jens to place sound on it. You see, in order to get nice sound you do not preserve something from the original clips, and add new sounds for all. Otherwise you get all kinds of reduce off sounds in between cuts. It ended up taking Jens over three days to full this (and is why "launch" trailer is not on launch). The final project file contained 52 tracks, every track obtaining hundreds of sound samples.
Entertaining reality is that this process of design -> graphics -> editing (scripting) -> sounds is pretty considerably how we created levels in Amnesia!
There you have the story! Lots a work for a little over two minutes. Hopefully it will lure someone into acquiring! :)